FIONA and perfSONAR 2018 workshop Agenda
The SoX: FIONA and perfSONAR 2018 Workshop is a 3-day program:
- September 19: System Administration, Performance Measurement and Science DMZ Concepts
- Linux System Administration and Security Intermediate Level
- Network Performance Measurement concepts (perfSONAR)
- Science DMZ Architectural Model
- Science DMZ Security Model
- Basics of Data movement (Data Transfer Nodes [DTNs] and Scientific Workflows)
- September 20: FIONA–Advanced Performance Measurement and Visualization
- FIONA / FIONette setup and operation
- Planning network performance measurement deployments (mesh; regular testing with perfSONAR tools)
- Integrating disk-to-disk performance measurement (mesh; regular testing with GridFTP, nuttcp)
- MaDDash and Measurement Archive (planning mesh testing regime, registering results, and visualization)
- Troubleshooting, Tuning, and Scaling
- September 21: SoX perfSONAR mesh integration
- Accessing on particpant site perfSONAR boxes
- Setting up upgrades and security
- Integrating into the SoX perfSONAR mesh
- Checking for regular testing
- Troubleshooting SoX mesh nodes
The September 19: System Administration, Performance Measurement and Science DMZ Concepts session will provide a foundational overview of perfSONAR, Science DMZs and how Data Transfer Nodes fit in to a properly architected and instrumented network to support Scientific Workflows. The initial Linux session will review CentOS/Red Hat specifics of Linux as well as proper SSH usage and some tips and tricks for maximizing use of your preferred text-based Linux editor.
The September 20: FIONA–Advanced Performance Measurement and Visualization session will build upon the foundation of the August 2: System Administration, Performance Measurement and Science DMZ Concepts session to provide cyberinfrastructure engineers with the knowledge and skills necessary to plan, implement, and manage deployments of perfSONAR nodes and data transfer nodes (DTNs), including: developing mesh-orchestrated test regimes to measure network and disk-to-disk performance; registering test results to a central measurement archive; and, setting up dashboards to visualize performance at a glance, as well as graph performance over time.
The September 21: SoX perfSONAR mesh integration session will build upon the perfSONAR instruction for the FIONettes and work to apply these principles to instantiate and troubleshoot a mesh for the SoX region.
Each participant will use a FIONette to explore concepts and perform the interactive lab exercises. Upon completion of the workshop each participant will be provided their own FIONette to take home with them to deploy in support of research and education activities at their institution.